Friday, November 21, 2008

Guess I'm just too mad of a cow

Dear Canadian Blood Services,

Apparently you don't want my blood, because I was in the UK for more than 3 months between 1980 and 1996. This is because during these years there was a major Mad Cow Disease outbreak. So, because my family went to England when I was 2 years old and we stayed for about 5-6 months, my blood is no good to you.

I understand perfectly that you do not want to put anyone needing a transfusion at risk, but seriously? Is my blood really that dangerous? When I did some reading up on the disease on Wikipedia, it told me that you get the disease by EATING THE SPINAL CORD AND/OR THE BRAIN of the infected animal. I'm sorry Canadian Blood Services if I seem naive to be judging your rejection of my blood, but what 2 year old girl do you know who goes around eating cow nervous systems?

My readings also got me wondering though. Apparently researchers believe that it can take decades before the disease takes hold and symptoms arise. If I somehow did come in contact with the disease when I was a little platinum-froed toddler, when I'm middle-aged and have my own family I could suddenly start having symptoms and die within a few weeks. I know that the chances are slim to none, but if that were to happen, that seems like an awfully cruel way to go.

Anyways, I'm sorry Canadian Blood Services that I cannot help your cause by donating my mad cow blood, but you should know that I think you are doing a great and wonderful thing, and I think that all the donors are also doing a great and wonderful thing. I just wish I could help save lives too.

~boo

No comments: